Brown rice noodles and veggies with sweet and spicy saucePosted: January 20, 2012
Last night, I made brown rice mai fun noodles with veggies and a homemade sweet and spicy kind of sauce. I always tend to make a huge amount of food when I cook and eat the leftovers for days. Yummmm!
Ingredients – Serves 8
*Note: this is what I used but you can use any veggies you like in your stirfry that equal out to about 8 cups of vegetables.*
- 1 Tbsp vegetable broth
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh minced garlic (to taste)
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (to taste)
- 4 cups assorted veggies, fresh or frozen (I used frozen – red and green peppers, onions, carrots, cauilflower, and broccoli)
- 6-8 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 6-8 crimini mushrooms, chipped
- 1 can cut baby corn
- 1 can watercress
- 1 bunch scallions
1. Heat vegetable broth over medium-high heat, steamfry ginger and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add and stir in all vegetables, coating garlic and ginger mix throughout. If you have frozen, add those and cook for 4-5 minuets before adding fresh. Add more vegetable broth as needed to steam vegetables. Keep flame on a low heat to prevent overcooking as a stir fry tastes best with vegetables just under tender (in my opinon).
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari, or Bragg’s (choose low-sodium version)
- 4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp cooking wine
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp red curry powder
- 2-4 tsp crushed red pepper, to taste
1. Add water to pan and begin to heat over low flame.
2. Whisk in cornstarch until evenly dissolved.
3. Add remaining ingredients one at a time, whisking often to prevent cornstarch from clumping.
Add sauce to veggies and simmer on low for a 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly to distribute sauce and prevent burning.
At this point, I felt the sauce was a little too thin for my liking for the amount of veggies that I had, so I stirred in some more cornstarch and cooked for another few minutes, stirring constantly.
Brown Rice Noodles
- 2 – 8 oz packages 100% brown rice mai fun noodles (I used Annie Chun’s)
Prepare according to package.
Serve with warm green tea – delightful and nourishing!