Steamed veggies with vegan creamy walnut saucePosted: February 23, 2012
My dinner tonight was a huge bowl of steamed veggies with a creamy walnut sauce. This meal could have pasta or rice added to it, but tonight I just decided to do the veggies because I wasn’t hungry enough for the extra carbs. Honestly, the sauce is pretty filling anyway even just on vegetables due to the walnuts and whole wheat flour. I’m stuffed!
- 1 cup finely chopped raw walnuts
- 2 cups unsweetened milk substitute (I used almond)
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- Combine walnuts, milk substitute, Earth Balance, and spices in a sauce pan.
- Heat to a low boil over medium heat, stirring to prevent burning. Remove from heat before a rolling boil is reached.
- Whisk in nutritional yeast and flour to desired consistency (add more milk or more flour to adjust to your liking.)
- Use sauce to top meal – would work great on pasta, veggies, baked potatoes, and more!